Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DJ Hero- My experiences




DJ Hero is publisher Activison's latest entry in the music game genre and one that I have been working forward to for quite sometime. I've lived the dream of being the rockstar in front of a stadium and now I get to be apart of the party scene and be the beat chemist at the coolest parties...or something like that.


So the awesome folks at Activision sent me a review copy of the game so I can take a look at it for TWIG, 1150 AM WIMA and my latest offering 104.9 CHWC and well let's dig into it. This is a game that I never thought would work in the real world but after playing through a fair chunk of the game, I've got to say after a while it feels natural and is super sexy.

So let me lay it out for you, you have a pretty good sized turntable with a single record that spins 360 and 3 buttons and a cross fader and some effects switches. This sounds kind of awkward at first but once you sit down and do the tutorials, it really becomes second nature and soon you'll be scratchin and crossfadin like a pro-ish.

The game play itself is actually quite fun and while kind of looks like Guitar Hero at first, it's the little things that separate it from the other franchise such as the scratching itself. The tracks have little marks in them where you do some scratching and it's a very fun experience to spin the record a touch and make it warp the track. Eventually you'll be introduced to scratching and cross fading between different sources and then introducing samples into your mix, it can be very chaotic but super awesome.

DJ Hero totally hit the right notes when it comes to music and mash ups and feels like a good representation of the various genres especially when it mixes pop song together.One of my favorites is a mix between Tears for Fears "Shout" and Eric Prydz "Pajanno"


The appearance of something like Mash ups in a video game absolutely astounds me and really shows the progression of how far the scene has come into terms of popularity. I was so hoping that the set list would not disappoint and it didn't from artists like DJ AM, DJ Shadow,Daft Punk and Grandmaster Flash, it's a really impressive set of remixes and mash ups.There is even a section dedicated to Jay Z, which would have awesome for me if they included some of the Linkin Park stuff.

Overall, I've had a blast with this game and I seriously can't wait to see what they can do with DLC in the future. I do wish I had gotten the uber edition with the performance kit. Check it out, isn't it hawt :)
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, that game looks amazing. I'm not going to lie, I don't play video games all that often but that even intrigues me.. wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the cooler games I have played recently :)
    The soundtracks kicks so much ass

    ReplyDelete
  3. That remix is badass! I need to check out the soundtrack listing again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJ Hero has one of the best soundtracks I have heard recently
    I seriously hope that they release a soundtrack on CD or mp3

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh i want this game, but the price tag is kinda high for a new IP but i want this game because i love this type of music especially Pjanoo is soo good. i will have to wait for this to go down in price before i commit to this game

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun - I want it!
    If you can beleive it, I was an expert guitar hero player - and I loved it. I have been checking this out in the stores... thanks for the review! very useful.

    ReplyDelete