Saturday, November 21, 2009

Twilight video games: To be or not to be

"...the real difference [between Rowling and Meyer] is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer, and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good"
Stephen King

I'm just going to come straight out and admit it, I do not get this whole "Twilight" thing with people these days, I mean what's with the sudden popularity of Vampires and the whole Supernatural bit and how lame it's become..

So now that Twilight:New Moon came out, I really got around to thinking about games that have Vampires that aren't Castlevania because I'm surprised there isn't a Twilight Video game outside of Twilight:Scene it...which doesn't count to me because it doesn't contain any real element of skill other then memorization.

While watching New Moon last night I really got to thinking why isn't there a decent vampire video game outside of Castlevania and to a lesser extent, the legacy of Kain series.
I was really expecting there to be a Twilight video game because it makes sense right? I mean somehow the DaVinci Code and Jackass got video games so why not right?

Twilight was able to escape this fate and not become some substandard platformer or something similarly stupid. There is talk of a group of fans putting together some kind of a Twilight MMO which I agree on some level isn't a bad idea but it would require a really strong community to keep going. I'm not the most knowledgeable of the canon but I imagine that there are some stories that could be told in the series that aren't Bella and Edward. I liked the idea of Werewolves and other creatures in the universe maybe...kinda like White Wolf's World of Darkness and maybe Stephanie Meyer's universe is open to that. I want to know if there are other creatures like demons or zombies or maybe something like a ghost hell bent on revenge.

I'm not the biggest fan of the whole "Twilight" thing but at the same time, I am open minded to a good story and the new movie had me at certain points. I want to know about the other stories that exist in that universe like are there other wars being fought on different fronts and what other threats exist to the vampiric existence? I think the world that Stephanie Meyer created could very well lead to a very cool game if it was handled properly by the right development team and publisher but odds are it wouldn't be handled well.

The community is certainly there and the fandom certainly rabid enough but if you build it, would they come?
I'm not entirely certain if all pop culture phenomena should be turned into video games and let's look at how well a property like say Watchmen:The end is nigh and in the end, not as well as it could have been.
Twilight is maybe one of the universes that maybe doesn't translate well into a digital format like video games and maybe they are best left to film and books.

It's a fun thought to think about and for all the bashing that alot of nerds do of the "Twilight" Fandom, it would be an interesting world to perhaps play in if it was handled differently then a romance but more as an action adventure story universe.I just can't see Twilight as anything but a book or a movie and it's probably better that way. I want to believe there is something more this whole Twilight thing then "ZOMG! Edward is so hot!" and that people are smarter then I give them credit for...

Some of the elements are in the Meyers universe are plain stupid such as "sparkling" vampires and the whole non death in the sun but other things like they the vampiric powers are neat and the werewolves tribes is neat if cliched by being done before. I think it's a sign of the times and where the world is headed with the thought process of being immortal and never having to face life if you get what I mean but that's a philosophical discussion for another day.

However when all is said in done I'll say this in closing

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. yes i find it weird how they can make a scene it movie from one film since the new one just came out, but i saw taht this was also on the app store and i was really amazed they would do this. but birdman another good blog as usual

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh, I dunno. Despite the fact more girls are getting into gaming these days, the majority of players are males 18+, not to mention nearly all of the female gamers wouldn't be the type interested in Twilight anyway.

    Perhaaaaps it might make for a somewhat interesting MMO as you said, and you could customize your character and choose to be a human, vampire, werewolf, etc, but with the influx of Twilight fans that would bring to the online gaming community, maybe it's better for the rest of us if they left it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember vividly when 'Titanic' came out. A comedian commented that it was 'the teenage girl version of 'Star Wars' in that so many repeat viewings by young women fueled an otherwise horrendously acted movie - with great special effects though - to the all time grossing super-film it is today.

    Now it's 2009 and now the we've come somewhat full circle. Instead of having to endure one horrible spectacle, we are now forced to endure an entire series of movies based on bad books. I also feel that any comparison to the 'Potter' series of books and movies is flawed. As your quote in the opening of this blog stated, Rowling was able to transcend a tale of a young wizard into a phenomenon that appealed to children AND adults alike. The character development was strong - maybe even too strong (700+ page books) - the situations felt fresh and new, and the story always left you wanting more. Video games based on it revolved around learning spells and the like and makes for easier transition.

    Twilight is attempting to build on a familiar mythos of vampires and werewolves and zombies - or whatever, I haven't read that far ahead - and butchers it to attract a base of pre-pubescent girls and gay men (I have a gay brother and he and his friends LOVE the books.) How that can transition into a game is something I couldn't think of. MMO? Possibly. You could build a character that's pale and who feels pain when they attempt to smile while they meander around the Pacific Northwest - 'cuz it's cloudy and the sun doesn't hurt them remember cuz they have sparkly skin?!' - and being dull.

    I feel that my disdain for the entire enterprise makes me less likely to offer a suitable solution to your point. Can 'Twilight' be made not just into a game, but a decent game? I'll appeal to my Irish-Catholic roots and answer your question with a question? Does it matter? After all, 'New Moon' just surpassed 'The Dark Knight' for biggest opening EVAR. Just slap the pale characters from the series on a 360, PS3, and Wii version of 'Twilight: Puzzle Fighter' and I guarantee it's sales will be on par with Modern Warfare 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... What Brian stated is sad yet too true... Kudos to you both... I'm thinking that I'll write an opinion on this someday... ^_^

    ReplyDelete